Ski Area Operations
Certifications for ski patroller - Printable Version

+- Ski Area Operations (http://skiindustry.org:/forum)
+-- Forum: Ski Patrol, Safety, & Mountain Rescue (/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Year Round Patrolers (/forumdisplay.php?fid=100)
+--- Thread: Certifications for ski patroller (/showthread.php?tid=244)

Certifications for ski patroller - dynomatic - 02-11-2015 08:27 PM

Lakyn Dyson
1 Post. Joined 11/2014

I am hoping to be a pro patroller by next season and I am curious what certs y'all would suggest to help me get a job because I know it is pretty hard to find a full time position. Would it be better to have a WEMT or a REMT? What level of avalanche training do you suggest I go up to? Are there any other certifications I should look into? Really any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Lakyn!
skier_j
Passholder
4,622 Posts. Joined 10/2001
If you had decent skiing skills and either OEC or better yet any EMT level I'm assuming W is wilderness I have no idea what R stands for, and some basic avalanche training you will be better equiped than many of the pro applicants with no prior experience.
segbrown
Epicski Gear Tester
Ambassador
7,574 Posts. Joined 2/2001
Technical ropes is good too but yeah, the more medical the better. ACLS, EMT, etc.
Freestyle1975
8 Posts. Joined 3/2013
The NSP requires Outdoor Emergency Care, we have Doctors, RN's, Paramedics, EMT's and so on on our patrol, they still needed to get OEC certified. There is the ski instruction of about 5 weeks, 2 times a week, and toboggan training 5-7 weeks 2 times a week, plus ones regular shift.
Some areas require EMT (Red Lodge) but that is specific to Red Lodge each area has it's own protocols. Getting on a patrol as a paid patroler in one year most likely will not happen. Usually one needs to make senior or certified and that takes being in the patrol for several years just to be able to take the course.

Sam.
jwevers
3 Posts. Joined 1/2015
It all depends on the hill where you will be patrolling and what their standard is. Some hills are only OEC and some are EMT. I happen to be both because I use my EMT in the off-season. You will also have to have CPR. Our hill requires AHA HCP level CPR and not Red Cross CPR.
Bob Lee
Passholder
3,800 Posts. Joined 11/2006
For pro patrol, EMT+BLS CPR+Avy 1+a guiding or climbing background would be a solid set of qualifications on the résumé. Avy 2 and/or paramedic for extra points. And be a really strong skier of course.
stomparound85
89 Posts. Joined 2/2011
Really just talk to the mountain you want to patrol at. But get your OEC I've seen job postings out west that want OEC. I wouldn't think just because you want to pro that you have to have an EMT.
Bob Lee
Passholder
3,800 Posts. Joined 11/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomparound85 View Post

I wouldn't think just because you want to pro that you have to have an EMT.

Some patrols require EMT, and the OP was looking for certs that would help him get a job. EMT will definitely help him stand out from the crowd, and EMT certification is pretty widely available through community colleges and such.
jwevers
3 Posts. Joined 1/2015
I would not recommend putting yourself through a 160 hour class only to find out that the hill you want to patrol at is not an OEC or EMT hill. You can challenge the OEC if you have an EMT, however if you only get OEC you cannot challenge EMT and would instead have to take a second 160 hour class. As mentioned in earlier posts, first find out the requirements at the hill you want to patrol at.
All post in this thread found here: http://www.epicski.com/t/130322/certifications-for-ski-patroller