Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Torque Hub Input Shaft Spline wear
02-11-2015, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2015 07:57 PM by robotiller.)
Postby midwestsnopro on 08 Nov 2008, 01:05

Performing annual maintenance of the torque hubs today and found an interesting wear on the end of the input shaft. It was worn into the outside cover on the end of the shaft and looked as if the end was hammered on. The shaft should ride relatively in place due the straight cut gearing in the hub with no forces pushing it out towards the cover. The oil when drained had that distinctive burnt gear our smell. What I found were the drive motor drive shaft splines were pointed and well worn, which wore on the brake shaft splines. Then inspecting the drive coupler between the brake and the torque hub, I found those splines worn also past the service life and worn in an hourglass shape on the spline.
The input shaft, which is mounted with a spring to be able to disconnect the torque hub and cause it to freewheel, actually pulls back on the hourglass wear pattern of the splines and the spring causes the shaft to recoil back out into the outside cover of the torquehub during every revolution of the hub. During annual maintenance, I usually check the coupler splines, but today I learned also to remove the input shaft by means of a snap ring and inspect the inside splines of that shaft, which normally I didn't take apart to inspect.

Learn something new everyday!
Re: Torque Hub Input Shaft Spline wear
Postby nhmx271 on 08 Nov 2008, 19:26

Several q and a's-what type of brake-if mico then throw in garbage and buy auscos(with new auscos do next step). If ausco-when you install new bearings, remove all bearing seals so motor shaft side is lubed by oil from brake hub, if cat has over 5000 hrs then new couplers are needed anyways. Make sure brake seal is installed so sealing hub oil out of brake. When re-assembling fairfield hub do by hand only-no air tools and torque all bolts to 45 ft lbs-more torque will excede hub pre-load and will burn up hub. What are you using for oil?-75/90 100% syn as a rule-Mobil is best. Hope this helps
Craig Racing-When In Doubt,Take'm Out
All post in this thread found here: http://forums.slopegroomer.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply